Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Ugh... men

Or, maybe just the men I deal with regularly?  Don't want to lump 'em all into one annoying pile now, do I?

I'm the only female in the entire company I work for and, all the men?  They're construction workers.  Even the office guys were out in the field at one point and lemme just say this - it shows.  

How?  Their lack of tact, their complete non-understanding of the English language (not all of them, some of our actual plumbers have a very good grasp on spelling and grammar), and the fact that they DO NOT LISTEN.

Which is my reason for this post today.  

I have this one particular co-worker who, for the most part, is a nice guy.  However, lately, he's fallen under the impression that anytime I start talking to him, I'm looking for an answer or an explanation.  Even if he doesn't know what the hell I'm talking about.

Case in point: I'm doing payroll this morning and discover someone put overtime down but didn't allocate it to a job.  I'm annoyed because a) the guy's worked here for 15 years and b) HE IS THE OWNER'S SON.  So, he knows how our time cards work.  Anyway, I'm starting to tell my co-worker that I'm annoyed and he interrupts me and says, "Oh, he was either on this job or that job."  First, not why I'm telling you this.  If that had been my motive, I would have started this conversation differently.  Second, telling me he was on one of two jobs is not exactly solving my problem. 


This is how every conversation we've had lately has been.  I'm not looking for answers, dear, I'm looking for conversation.  I feel for his wife sometimes.  It's no wonder she can't seem to do anything for herself.  I mean, if he treats me this way, he must be overboard with her. 

Off topic, but related: when my in-laws picked up the death certificates from the funeral home in January, they were given a folder with a bunch of information inside.  I looked at it all when they gave it to me and one of the papers listed the signs of depression and grief.  Right there, near the top, it said: irrational rage.  I laughed at the time, but now?  Yeah, I get it.  I tend to keep my anger for things that matter, but this last month or so, everything has not just made me angry, it's made me furious.  So yeah, maybe I'm struggling more than I thought I was.  *shrugs*

On that note, I hope you have a wonderful day.  I promise not to strangle any of my coworkers, okay?  

2 comments: