Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Petty People

 So, I'm on a lot of email lists (still, I'm a dinosaur, I know), and generally things are pretty mellow.  They're mostly book-related so there's not often a lot of drama.  But sometimes... 

One particular group does a question of the day and I probably should have realized SOMETHING was going to happen when I read this morning's question.  It was about former first ladies and who you'd like to share a meal with.  

Most answers were the expected - Jackie Kennedy, Eleanor Roosevelt, that kind of thing.  Then someone mentioned Michelle Obama and nearly everyone agreed.  Cue the Not Like Other Girls member of the group who says Melania Trump.  Um... what?

Her reasoning was that she liked strong women and it took a strong woman to stand up to Donald.  And while I agree it would take a strong person to stand up to that man (he's rather domineering and obstinate), I'm not really sure that Melania did that.  Nancy Pelosi, sure.  But Melania?  

Anyway, of course someone had to chime in on this, but at least the response was calm and brought the facts.  Nothing inflammatory was said.  So, the person who posted about Melania went back, found her detractor's post mentioning Michelle Obama, and replied with 'I feel the same way about her that you feel about Melania' or something close to that.  She went on to say that she can't stand Michelle Obama, something the other person did not stoop to saying about Melania.  

Now, someone's jumped in whining about how they're afraid to answer any of the daily questions because they're afraid of being jumped on and... this is a discussion list?  Like isn't that why we're here?  I don't get it.

I'm just waiting on this one particular lurker who only posts when they want to *call you out* for saying something that puts down men and reminding you that if they did that, they'd be called a sexist.  

Anyway, I'm not sure what the point of this post was other than to get all this off my chest.  Oh wait, I see my title and I think the point was how petty it was to immediately turn on someone else's response because they didn't like yours.  Hah.  I knew I had a point. LOL  

No comments:

Post a Comment